Spaghetti Tofu and Celery Peperoncino
Spaghetti Aglio, Olio, e Peperoncino (Spaghetti garlic, oil, and hot chilli pepper) is my favourite pasta. Adding tofu and celery makes this pasta more substantial and nutritious. I use celery leaves instead of Italian parsley. Many people throw away celery leaves so please try it this way; the leaf tastes quite similar to parsley!
- 600g (21oz) firm tofu
- 4 dried whole chillies
- 6 stalks of celery, with leaves
- 400g (14oz) spaghetti or gluten-free spaghetti
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Cracked pepper
- Break the tofu into bite sizes and let it stand on a strainer for 10 minutes.
- Slice 1 dried chilli and remove the seeds. If you don’t like it too spicy, do not chop the chilli (it will be less spicy when not chopped).
- Trim the leaves from the celery. Shred the leaves roughly. Slice the stalk thinly at an angle (in a diagonal movement).
- Cook pasta in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until it is al dente. Reserve a full ladle of salted water ready to use later.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the tofu. Cook, not stirring for 5 minutes or until golden. Add sliced celery and a good pinch of salt and stir for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil and garlic in the same saucepan over low heat and cook until the garlic turns nearly pale gold, it takes about 5 to 7 minutes (do not let the garlic turn brown, otherwise the sauce will taste bitter). Add chopped and whole chillies and cook for another minute.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the hot garlic and oil mixture with the reserved salted water. Toss to combine then put back the tofu and celery. Add celery leaves at the end and season with salt
- Serve with a generous sprinkling of black pepper.
This recipe is from Cooking With Soy. Want to learn more healthy Japanese cooking? Grab my Cooking With Soy for real knowledge of Japanese cuisine and easy recipes using soy!
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
Please come and join my healthy Japanese superfoods cooking class in Sydney. We offer vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free cooking classes that are filled with tasty and easy recipes. You will learn not only cooking skills and tips but also how to use Japanese ancient wisdom on a daily basis for your health, energy, and beauty! Don’t be afraid to make it a group event, team building cooking classes, hens party cooking classes and other group classes are available, the more the merrier! Join my cooking class from HERE or leave me an inquiry HERE.
You don’t live in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, I run online Japanese cooking courses! but I open the course 3 times a year. So if you want to be notified, just drop your email address HERE.
Happy Japanese superfoods cooking xx