Edamame Kakiage Bowl
Tempura Sauce (tentsuyu)
- 600ml (21lf oz) water
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons MSG-free dashi powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
(see recipe for Corn, Onion and Edamame Kakiage recipe)
- This meal is to be served with your favourite rice.
- Brown rice (see the recipe from Brown Rice,Edamame and Ume Rice Ball)
- Millet and amaranth rice (see the recipefrom Unagi Donburi)
- Quinoa rice (see the recipe from Inari QuinoaSushi)
- Shichimi tougarashi* (optional)
- Cook your favourite rice.
- Cook kakiage
- To make the tempura sauce, place all the sauce ingredients, except the soy sauce, ina small saucepan, bring to the boil and keep boiling for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and add soy sauce.
- Place cooked rice in a bowl then place in two pieces of kakiage.
- Pour the sauce all over the kakiage and rice.
- Tip: Some people like to dip the kakiage or tempura into the sauce first then put it on top of the rice. If you like to enjoy the crispy kakiage, pour the sauce just before serving.
Gluten-free option: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
This recipe is from my first cookbook ” Cooking With Soy“
There are also more exciting recipes in ” Japanese superfoods” and my latest book Top 3 Japanese superfoods for natural weight loss
The best way of learning cooking?
Please come and join my healthy vegetarian / vegan cooking classes in Sydney!
We offer gluten free cooking, traditional and modern Japanese cooking and more.