Fennel and Baby Spinach Salad with Lemony Chia and Aburaage Dressing
Chia seeds make dressings nice and thick. The sponge-like aburaage absorbs the flavour of the dressing and adds great texture to the salad.
- 1 medium fennel, thinly sliced
- 100g (3.1/2oz) baby spinach
- 1 medium-sized avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 150ml (5fl oz) water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 aburaage (refer to ‘How to handle deep-friedtofu’)
1. To make the dressing, soak the chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water and set them aside.
2. Place rice vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
3. Wash the aburaage with hot water to get rid of oil.
4. Heat the non-stick frying pan and cook the aburaage until crispy (see picture below) on both sides.
5. Cut into thin pieces.
6. Place the crispy aburaage and soaked chia seeds into the lemon mixture.
7. Place the fennel and spinach into a salad bowl, pour over the dressing and mix well.
This recipe is from Cooking With Soy. Want to learn more healthy Japanese cooking? Grab my Cooking With Soy for real knowledge of Japanese cuisine and easy recipes using soy!
There are also more exciting recipes in Japanese superfoods and my latest book Top 3 Japanese superfoods for natural weight loss.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
Online Japanese Cooking Classes and Courses
NEW Japanese online classes are coming soon! For more information, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese. 30 Day Challenge Course!! The course focuses on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – the real key for Japanese health- you can grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can get the “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master all Japanese Superfoods.