Japanese dumplings – vegan and gluten free!
Dango- the Japanese mochi like dumplings that you can enjoy both sweet and savoury. Great thing is they are gluten and dairy free.
You need only two ingredients for this recipe and it’s so easy to make. Traditionally, we make dumplings without tofu; however, tofu makes these dumplings more nutritious and moist for longer. Use this basic recipe then serve with whatever flavour topping you desire.
- 300g (10.1/2oz) silken tofu
- 230g (8oz) glutinous rice flour*
1. In a medium bowl, mix together tofu and rice flour; knead until the mixture combines together to resemble dough. Form the tofu mixture into approximately 40 evenly sized balls.
2. Carefully add the balls to a large saucepan of boiling water. To produce a perfect texture, cook for a further 2 minutes after all the dumplings have risen to the surface.
3. In a colander, cool the dumplings under cold running water, gently rotating the balls from time to time to prevent them from sticking to one another. Drain well.
4. Serve the dumplings with one or several of the following sweet or savoury variations.
Tip: The quantities specified in each of the variations, with the exception of Isobe Yaki, are sufficient for 20 dumplings (or to serve 4–5 people). Adjust the quantities where necessary to match the number of variations and dumplings being served.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
Online Japanese Cooking Classes and Courses
NEW Japanese online classes are coming soon! For more information, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese. 30 Day Challenge Course!! The course focuses on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – the real key for Japanese health- you can grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can get the “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master all Japanese Superfoods.