Health Benefits of Burdock
Gobo is a Burdock root, famous for its high dietary fibre content. It has several health benefits like:
- great for bowel movement
- blood purifying
- immunity boost
- lowering blood sugar
- lowering blood pressure level
Sasagaki Gobo – How to cut a Burdock root (Gobo)?
- Remove the skin using back side of the knife.
- With a sharp knife, make vertical cuts into the root, about 7 inches (20cm) from the end.
- Shave the cut end of burdock. Pretend the root is a pencil and you are sharpening it. Rotate the root as you go.
You can use sasagaki gobo ( shaved burdock) for:
- Kinpira gobo – Sauteed and simmered burdock root & carrots (Recipe for Kinpira Gobo)
- Takikomi gohan – Japanese style pilaf
- Kenchin jiru – Clear soup using root veggies and tofu
Need some vegetarian / vegan cooking inspiration?
Check out my plant-based cookbooks