This is a rich and creamy blancmange that incorporates soymilk and tahini (the secret
ingredient to make it really creamy). Japanese ‘Kuzu’ is the setting agent and it has many
nutritional benefits. You can make noir (black) mange using black tahini.
- 2 tablespoons kuzu
- 500ml (17. fl oz) soymilk
- 60ml (2fl oz) agave
- teaspoon concentrate agar agar powder
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Strawberry sauce
- 30g (1oz) real brown sugar
- 25ml (.fl oz) water
- 5 strawberries, chopped
1. Break the kuzu into powder and dissolve with a small amount of soymilk in a saucepan.
2. Add the rest of the soymilk, agave, agar agar and tahini over a medium heat, stirring continuously. You will see the mixture begin to
continuously. You will see the mixture begin to
thicken. Bring to the boil then turn down and
simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continuously
(agar agar needs to be cooked for at least 2 minutes with a boiling liquid, otherwise, it won’t melt so it won’t set).
so it won’t set).
3. Spoon the mixture among five ramekins and refrigerate to set.
4. Meanwhile, make the strawberry sauce. Bring sugar and water to the boil in a small pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer until syrupy.
Reduce heat to low and simmer until syrupy. Remove from heat and add the chopped
strawberries and stir. Leave to cool.
5. To serve, dip moulds briefly into warm water, turn onto plates and spoon strawberry sauce over the top.
over the top.
Tip: There are many types of agar agar. If you use Japanese agar agar powder, use . teaspoon.
If you use an agar-agar flake or bar, use 1 teaspoon and soak for at least two hours before
cooking. You can also make black blancmange, simply use black tahini instead of white.
You can also create the two-colour blancmange you see in the photo opposite.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
I run online Japanese cooking courses! but I open the course 3 times a year. So if you want to be notified, just drop your email address HERE
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – real key for Japanese health, please grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can have “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master Japanese Superfoods.