Tofu Mitarashi Dango
Dango-skewered dumplings are a very popular Wagashi, the traditional Japanese sweets. Mitarashi dango is one of the popular dango which has sweet soy-based sauce. It is vegan and gluten free! Yummy Japanese traditional sweets for everybody!
20 Tofu Shiratama Dango (see recipe)
- 1/2 tablespoon potato starch
- 50ml (1.3/4 fl oz) water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 1.1/2 tablespoons mirin
1. Thread dumplings onto 6 skewers. Place the skewers under the grill until dumplings turn a slightly brown colour. Alternatively, use a domestic blowtorch to get the colour.
2. Mix potato starch and water. Set aside.
3. Place 50ml (1. 3/4 fl oz) water, soy sauce, sugar and mirin in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
4. Add the potato starch water (mix again just before adding, even though you mixed it earlier) into the boiling sauce and mix well. Cook until thickened.
5. Pour the sauce over the skewered dumplings.
Gluten-free option: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
Online Japanese Cooking Classes and Courses
NEW Japanese online classes are coming soon! For more information, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese. 30 Day Challenge Course!! The course focuses on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – the real key for Japanese health- you can grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can get the “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master all Japanese Superfoods.