Tofu and Basil Bruschetta
This bruschetta features a protein-rich pesto that is made creamy and crunchy by adding tofu and walnuts.
I love to add lots of nuts—nuts give extra nutritional value, flavour and texture. You can use pine nuts, like traditional pesto. Pine or cashew nuts give creaminess, whereas walnuts add crunchiness. You can also use this pesto for your pasta!
- 200g (7oz) firm tofu or silken firm tofu
- 30g (1oz) basil, chopped roughly
- teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 40g (1.1/2 oz) walnuts, crushed or chopped roughly
- 4 pieces of wholemeal bread or gluten-free bread
- 6 to 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Remove excess water from tofu by boiling or let stand with weight for 30 minutes.
2. Put the basil, tofu, salt and olive oil in a mini food processor and blend until smooth. Add walnuts and blend further. Please do not over blend, so you can enjoy a little crunchiness.
3. Toast the breads.
4. Spread the pesto on the toasted bread. Arrange the tomatoes on top.
5. Serve with freshly ground pepper.
Tip: This tofu basil pesto is great for pasta. To make enough pesto for pasta to serve 4 people, make three batches. Serve with chopped fresh tomato.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?