Baked Apple and Sweet Potato Custard is the perfect Autumn dessert!
Both apple and sweet potato are in season at the moment. Which means they are fabulous ingredients to use for Autumn cooking. Seasonal ingredients are not only cheaper than usual but also plump, bright and packed full of nutritional goodness. Both apple and sweet potato are great for healthier vegan desserts and this recipe is a great idea for an Easter treat.
Baked Apple with Sweet Potato Custard
- 400g (14oz) purple skin sweet potato, peeled and
- cut into small pieces
- 400ml (14fl oz) soy milk
- 60ml (2fl oz) agave or pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 tablespoons neutral taste oil
- 60g (2oz) glutinous rice flour
- Pinch of salt
- 200g (7oz) sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons sultanas, soaked in brandy or
- Grand Marnier
- Some sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven 200°C (400°F).
- Place the potato in a saucepan and cover half of the potato with water.
- Place the lid on and cook over a medium-low heat. When potato is nearly cooked, take off the lid and cook over a medium-high heat to evaporate the water (in this way, potato won’t get watery but will bring out its sweetness).
- Add the cooked potato, soymilk, maple syrup,vanilla paste, oil, rice flour and salt into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place the mixture back in the pot and cook over a medium-low heat until slightly thick (if you keep cooking, the texture gets hard, so do not overcook!).
- Divide the sliced apple and sultanas between the ramekins (keep some apple for the decoration) then pour the custard over the top.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
Please come and join my healthy Japanese superfoods cooking class in Sydney. We offer vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free cooking classes that are filled with tasty and easy recipes. You will learn not only cooking skills and tips but also how to use Japanese ancient wisdom on a daily basis for your health, energy, and beauty! Don’t be afraid to make it a group event, team building cooking classes, hens party cooking classes and other group classes are available, the more the merrier! Join my cooking class from HERE or leave me an inquiry HERE.
You don’t live in Sydney?