A lot of people has been motivated to eat natto after reading my blog on how natto could prevent COVID-19. Simultaneously, I have also received many questions about these lovely Japanese fermented soybeans so I would like to clarify the frequently inquired to clear up any concerns you may have!
WHERE CAN I BUY THEM?
- Asian grocery stores: Try your luck in the freezers of your Asian grocery stores. A lot of Asian grocery stores now carry frozen natto you defrost before consuming.
You can find various types of FROZEN natto in the FREEZER at most Asian grocery shops.
WHAT TO DO WITH FROZEN NATTO?
- You can thaw natto by putting it in your fridge instead of your freezer the day before you want to consume it or leave it outside for a monitored period of time for it to defrost naturally.
WHERE CAN I BUY VEGAN NATTO?
- All natto is vegan. It is the sauce sachet attached that is not (it also contains MSG). I normally ditch the sauce for that reason.
As long as you don’t use this sauce that comes along with the natto, the beans are fully vegan ( even you are not vegan, I still don’t recommend using this sauce because it contains MSG).
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?
- SUPER CHEAP – they will be less than $2 per packet ( In Japan 3 packets for $1 … but still cheap enough right?)
I CAN’T STAND THE SMELL OF NATTO? WHAT CAN I DO?
- Natto does have an interesting smell and it can be overwhelming for some of you. If that is you or if you are a natto virgin, go for Hikiwari Natto! They have a shorter fermentation process which causes them to manifest a lighter colour and more pleasant smell. Even better, they contain more nattokinase (a powerful enzyme that is great for a healthy heart) and vitamin K.
I CAN’T READ JAPANESE? HOW CAN I BUY HIKIWARI NATTO…?
I totally understand. It is really challenging since there are at least two to three types of natto available in shops. It is hard to see from the packet but once you see the label, normally “ Hikiwari “ is written on it. If you still struggle, flip over the package and see the instruction label for the English product name printed on it.
These are Hikiwari Natto!
WORRIED ABOUT GMO SOYBEANS?
Don’t worry. In Japan, we HATE genetically modified soybeans so I have NEVER seen any soy products including Natto using GMO soybean!
Hopefully, this information clears up some questions you may have regarding natto. If you would like to know more about natto and how to cook them, grab a copy of my Japanese Superfoods Cookbook
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
NEW Japanese online cooking classes coming soon! More information to come, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese 30 Day Challenge Course!! Focusing on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – real key for Japanese health, please grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can have “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master Japanese Superfoods.