Omega-3 Rich Apple Cupcakes with Tofu and Sweet Potato Cream
Flax seeds and walnuts are rich in omega-3, which we often lack in our daily diet. Instead
of sugary icing, use creamy sweet potato and tofu cream. These very nutritious sweets can
even substitute for a meal!
- 200g (7oz) wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- teaspoon sea salt
- 30g (1oz) ground flaxseed
- 90ml (3fl oz) water
- cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 80ml (2.fl oz) neutral oil
- 100g (3.oz) brown sugar or unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 apples (about 230g/8oz), peeled and chopped 100g (3.oz) walnuts, crushed
- 100g (3.oz) walnuts, crushed
- Sweet potato and tofu cream
- 120g (4oz) purple sweet potato
- Pinch of salt
- 100g (3.oz) firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Cinnamon powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180ÅãC (350ÅãF).
2. Lightly grease a muffin tin or alternatively, line holes with paper cases.
3. In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. In a mini food processor or small blender, whip the flaxseed and water together, until it
reaches a thick and creamy consistency.5. In a separate bowl, combine the apple sauce,
5. In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, sugar, vanilla and flax mixture. Beat with
an electric hand mixer or whisk until creamy smooth. Add to the flour mixture and stir until
well blended. Do not over mix. If the mixture is or soymilk. The batter should be thick rather
than smooth and wet, so please don’t use too much liquid.
6. Fold in the apples and nuts.
7. Fill the greased muffin tins about three-quarters full.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked. You can skewer inserted into the centre; if it comes out
clean they’re cooked.
9. Cool in tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
10. To make sweet potato cream, peel the potato and boil with a pinch of salt until cooked.
11. Place the tofu, sweet potato, maple syrup and process until smooth. If the cream is too
hard, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of soymilk.
12. Pipe the cream onto the apple cupcakes. Dust with cinnamon powder.
Tip: To use egg instead of flaxseed, whisk two eggs with sugar until pale then add apple sauce,
vanilla and oil (process 4 and 5) and remove the water from the ingredients.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?