Zenzai (Warm Red Bean Soup)
This is another popular way to enjoy rice cake (mochi). It reminds me of Japanese New Year
as my mother makes this every year on 1 January.
- 20 Tofu Shiratama Dango (see recipe)
- 1 x 425g (15oz) can be cooked, undrained adzuki
- 60g (2oz) brown sugar*
- Pinch of salt
- 100ml (3.fl oz) water
1. Combine the adzuki, sugar, salt and water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat and add the dumplings, simmering gently for 5 minutes or until the dumplings are heated through.
3. With a spoon or ladle, skim the foam from the surface of the mixture and discard. Place two or three dumplings into each small serving bowl.
4. Spoon over the sauce and serve.