Tofu and Berry Tiramisu
This recipe turns a decadent Italian dessert into a light, healthy and colourful masterpiece.
It also gives you the perfect opportunity to use up your old bread!
- 10 wholemeal slices of bread, (cut the crust off and discard or to feed the birds!)
- Tofu cream
- 3 packets of silken firm or pressed silken tofu (about 940g/33oz)
- 30ml (1fl oz) lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 140ml (5fl oz) agave or pure maple syrup
- Berry layer
- 250g (9oz) frozen mixed berries
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup or pure maple syrup
- 1 punnet of your favourite fresh berries (optional
1 punnet of your favourite fresh berries (optional)
1. Boil the tofu to get rid of the water. Drain.
2. Place tofu, lemon juice, vanilla and agave into a food processor and process until smooth.
3. Make the berry layer by heating up the frozen berries and agave syrup in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat and cook
saucepan over a medium heat and cook until completely defrosted. Strain the berry and
keep the berry juice and berries separately.
4. Using four slices of bread, dip each slice one at a time into the berry juice, turning to coat.
Place, in a single layer, over the base of a 5cmdeep (2in), 18 x 18cm (7 x7in) (base) baking dish.
5. Spread half the tofu cream over the bread to cover. Repeat layers with remaining bread and
tofu cream. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
6. Top with the cooked berries that you set aside, and also the fresh berries.
Tip: You can use sponge finger biscuits if you don’t have old bread. If you do that, add 2
tablespoons of water when you cook the frozen berries. Gluten-free option: Use gluten-free
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?