Did you know that Shiitake mushrooms have bone density strengthening power and can be used to ease depression?
Shiitake mushrooms are one of the most popular mushrooms worldwide now but In Japan, we have been eating from ancient time and has been a big part of Japanese cuisine
They are prized for their rich, savoury umami flavour and diverse health benefits. Compounds in shiitake may help fight cancer, boost immunity, and support heart health but today’s focus is VITAMIN D!
Fresh shiitake mushrooms
What is in Shiitake?
Shiitake is rich in lots of nutrients such as, letinan, eritadenine, ergothioneine, vitamin B2, zinc, manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, choline, dietary fibre, folate… and VITAMIN D
Sun-Dried Shiitake is a winner – more Vitamin D and umami flavour
Why is Vitamin D important for your healthy body & mind?
- Stronger bone and teeth! Vitamin D regulates the body’s balance and promotes the absorption of calcium and phosphorus in the body which is important for healthy bones and teeth. Strong bones and teeth are important to both overall wellbeing and quality of life to ensure movement and bone structure.
- Depression fighter Vitamin D is called depression fighting vitamin, studies have shown that vitamin D plays an important role in regulating moods and therefore helping fight depression.
- Immune booster Vitamin D is also important for our immune system, a deficiency in vitamin D could lead to increase risk of autoimmune diseases.
SECRET FOR SHIITAKE VITAMIN D POWER – ERGOSTEROL
One important element to shiitake is ergosterol. Ergosterol is a sterol found in fungi and is converted into vitamin D2 by exposure to UV. Consequently, sun-dried shiitake mushrooms contain higher levels of vitamin D
TIPS to maximise the power of vitamin D in shiitake
- Go for dried shiitake rather than fresh
- Put dried shiitake under sunlight for 30 mins to 6 hours to get even more vitamin D
Amazing thing about dried shiitake is not only contain more vitamin D but also contains more Umami flavour – natural MSG!
Incorporating shiitake, alongside these tips into your diet can help improve your Vitamin D intake, which consequently contributes to a healthier body, strong bones and teeth. Furthermore, Vitamin D intake is important to regulating your mood and warding off depression.
Let’s have happy body and mind with shiitake mushroom!
If you want to find out more about shiitake, its health benefits and recipes to incorporate shiitake and it’s health benefits into your diet check out my Japanese Superfood Cookbook!
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
NEW Japanese online cooking classes coming soon! More information to come, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese 30 Day Challenge Course!! Focusing on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – real key for Japanese health, please grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can have “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master Japanese Superfoods.