Healthy Pumpkin Shiitake, Tomato and White Miso Pasta
Do you reckon pumpkin, tomato, shiitake, white miso and pasta is a weird combination? Well, don’t be surprised but… it is a fabulous combination! After making this recipe, I found out about the umami flavour of shiitake and guanylic acid actually goes very well with tomatoes umami flavour. This recipe’s tastiness is scientifically proven! Miso and tomato are both rich in glutamic acid and shiitake mushroom is rich in guanylic acid. So, when you take food with glutamic acid and food with guanylic acid and combine them, you’re not getting double the umami, you’re getting several times the umami. This is how we get to the umami bomb—layers and layers of umami!
- Half of a Japanese pumpkin (about 800 grams) cut into bite-size
- 4 tomatoes (400 grams) cut into bite-size
- 50 grams of dried shiitake mushroom, wipe lightly with damp cloth
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of white miso
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 fresh chilli (optional)
- 400 grams of pasta
- Place shiitake mushroom and 1 cup of water, heat over low heat with a lid for 10 minutes or until shiitake softens. (You can soak shiitake mushroom with water the day before or soak for a couple of hours in warm water).
- Add pumpkin and salt and cook over low heat with a lid for 10 minutes or until cooked (cooking pumpkin with very little water slowly will bring out the sweetness in the pumpkin!). You can add a little bit of water if you need to.
- Turn off the heat once the pumpkin is cooked and shiitake is soft. If there is some water, remove the lid and cook further to evaporate excess water.
- Slice the shitake and set aside.
- Place olive oil in a frying pan and heat over medium-high heat then add tomato, chilli and shiitake and fry until the tomato breaks before adding white miso and pumpkin then mix well.
- Toss with cooked pasta, season to taste if necessary
This recipe is from my Japanese Superfoods Cookbook
If you want to know more about Japanese superfoods and how to use them in your cooking, grab a copy of my book!
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
NEW Japanese online cooking classes coming soon! More information to come, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese 30 Day Challenge Course!! Focusing on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – real key for Japanese health, please grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can have “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master Japanese Superfoods.