Daikon and Edamame Salad with Ume Dressing
No oil is used in this dressing; the natural oil from the sesame gives this salad its richness. Daikon and ume are highly alkaline and this dressing is the perfect accompaniment with deep-fried food.
- 350g (12oz) daikon
- 120g (4oz) shelled frozen edamame
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon MSG-free konbu dashi powder
- 1 tablespoon ume (plum) vinegar
- 1/2 sheet nori
- 1 large umeboshi
1. Slice daikon and julienne finely (you don’t need to peel the daikon skin!)
2. Pour boiling water onto frozen edamame. Drain and set aside.
3. Toast the sesame seeds on a dry frying pan on a medium heat until golden. Grind the seeds or bruise with a knife.
4. For the garnish, finely cut the nori seaweed into 2 to 3cm (3/4 –1in) long slivers using kitchen scissors. Remove the seed from the umeboshi and chop finely.
5. Combine the edamame, daikon, sesame seeds, ume (plum) vinegar and konbu dashi powder in a large serving bowl and transfer to individual serving bowls.
6. Garnish with the nori slivers and chopped umeboshi, then serve.
Tip: Add the nori just before serving, otherwise the nori gets wet and gives unwanted texture.
WHY AM I NOT PEELING THE DAIKON SKIN?
Daikon skin contains more nutrients than the flesh, so don’t throw the skin away!
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
Online Japanese Cooking Classes and Courses
NEW Japanese online classes are coming soon! For more information, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese. 30 Day Challenge Course!! The course focuses on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – the real key for Japanese health- you can grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can get the “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master all Japanese Superfoods.