Chargrilled Marinade Tempeh with Avocado Salsa and Summer Quinoa Salad
1 packet (250g/9oz) tempeh
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijion mustard or any mustard of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Summer quinoa salad
- 100g (3½oz) quinoa
- ½ red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- To make the salad, place water in a large pot and bring to the boil. When boiling, add salt, add the quinoa and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the capsicum, tomato, olive oil, salt and lemon juice together.
- When the quinoa is ready, drain, and add to the salad. Mix well.
- Add in chopped parsley just before serving.
- Prepare the tempeh for marinating. Cut the tempeh diagonally into 4 triangles. If possible, thin those triangles out by slicing each in half horizontally—8 triangles in total.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl, large enough to toss tempeh.
- Place tempeh in a bowl, toss and distribute the marinade throughout the tempeh. Marinate for at least 30 minutes; feel free to marinate it for 2 days if you want a stronger taste. Be sure to flip occasionally whatever length of time you use.
- To make the salsa, place olive oil, lemon juice, salt and diced avocado, toss well.
- Grill the tempeh on a medium-hot grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, serve the tempeh with avocado salsa and the quinoa salad.
Tip: You can use quinoa salad, tempeh and avocado salad as a stuffing for rice paper rolls.
This recipe is from Cooking With Soy. Want to learn more healthy Japanese cooking? Grab my Cooking With Soy for real knowledge of Japanese cuisine and easy recipes using soy!
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
Please come and join my healthy Japanese superfoods cooking class in Sydney. We offer vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free cooking classes that are filled with tasty and easy recipes. You will learn not only cooking skills and tips but also how to use Japanese ancient wisdom on a daily basis for your health, energy, and beauty! Don’t be afraid to make it a group event, team building cooking classes, hens party cooking classes and other group classes are available, the more the merrier! Join my cooking class from HERE or leave me an inquiry HERE.
You don’t live in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, I run online Japanese cooking courses! but I open the course 3 times a year. So if you want to be notified, just drop your email address HERE.
Happy Japanese superfoods cooking xx