Chargrilled Marinade Tempeh with Avocado Salsa and Summer Quinoa Salad
1 packet (250g/9oz) tempeh
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijion mustard or any mustard of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Summer quinoa salad
- 100g (3½oz) quinoa
- ½ red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- To make the salad, place water in a large pot and bring to the boil. When boiling, add salt, add the quinoa and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the capsicum, tomato, olive oil, salt and lemon juice together.
- When the quinoa is ready, drain, and add to the salad. Mix well.
- Add in chopped parsley just before serving.
- Prepare the tempeh for marinating. Cut the tempeh diagonally into 4 triangles. If possible, thin those triangles out by slicing each in half horizontally—8 triangles in total.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl, large enough to toss tempeh.
- Place tempeh in a bowl, toss and distribute the marinade throughout the tempeh. Marinate for at least 30 minutes; feel free to marinate it for 2 days if you want a stronger taste. Be sure to flip occasionally whatever length of time you use.
- To make the salsa, place olive oil, lemon juice, salt and diced avocado, toss well.
- Grill the tempeh on a medium-hot grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, serve the tempeh with avocado salsa and the quinoa salad.
Tip: You can use quinoa salad, tempeh and avocado salad as a stuffing for rice paper rolls.