Brown Rice, Edamame and Ume Rice Ball
Rice balls are a typical Japanese lunch. I am very surprised to meet many people who have been to Japan and are crazy about these rice balls. Although, I shouldn’t really be surprised, since my idea of the perfect ‘last meal’ is a white rice ball with ume and nori—that is how much I love rice balls. This version uses brown rice for an even healthier alternative!
- 2 cups medium-grain brown rice
- 4 tablespoons (80g/2.1/2oz) shelled frozen
- 2 tablespoons roasted, grained white sesame seeds
- 2 or 3 umeboshi (Japanese salted plum),
- deseeded and broken into small pieces
- Some sea salt
- Nori, optional
1. Wash the brown rice.
2. Cook the brown rice with a pressure cooker or pot.
3. Once the rice is cooked, place all the ingredients, except salt, in a bowl and mix well.
4. To shape a rice ball, wet your hands and rub them with sea salt.
5. Take 1/6 of the rice and place in your hands. Hold the rice between your palms.
6. Working rapidly, form the rice into a triangular shape, by cupping your hand sharply to form each corner, and keep turning it until you are happy with the shape.
7. Repeat with the rest of the rice.
Tip: Wrap the rice ball with 1–2 strips of nori seaweed if you like that.
DO YOU NEED HEALTHY VEGAN COOKING INSPIRATIONS?
Do you know I run a cooking school in Sydney?
You don’t live in Sydney?
Don’t worry, there are two ways to learn Japanese cooking with me.
Online Japanese Cooking Classes and Courses
NEW Japanese online classes are coming soon! For more information, subscribe HERE so you don’t miss out!
ALSO twice per year I run an online Japanese. 30 Day Challenge Course!! The course focuses on weight loss and improving your health! Drop your email address HERE and we’ll notify you about the next challenge!
Plant Based Cookbooks
If you want to cook more easy and tasty Japanese vegan meals using Japanese superfoods – the real key for Japanese health- you can grab my vegan cookbook “Japanese Superfoods” or “Top 3 Japanese Superfoods for Natural Weightloss” or even better, you can get the “Japanese Superfoods combo deal” to master all Japanese Superfoods.