Shoyu Ramen (soy-sauce based)
I thought I would have to give up ramen when I became a vegetarian. But I am very happy to tell you that you can make delicious vegetarian ramen soup without MSG (most ramen soup contains MSG) and a shorter cooking time (ramen soup takes hours and hours to make) is POSSIBLE! The key is to cook the ginger and onion very slowly.
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1.6 litres (54fl oz) water
- 1 tablespoon konbu dashi powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large tofu sheet (yuba)
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 bunches fresh ramen noodle Asian greens (bok choy or choy sum)
- 2 tablespoons dried wakame, soaked in water and drained
- 1 small tin corn kernels
- To make the soup, heat sesame oil, ginger and onion in a large wok or saucepan over a low heat and cook slowly until onion is cooked.
- Add water, dashi powder and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the soy sauce. Set aside.
- To cook the tofu sheet, soak the sheet in warm water. Drain and make the tofu roll.
- Heat the extra sesame oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat. Place in the rolled tofu sheet and cook until golden on all sides.
- Add sake and mirin and cook for 1 minute or until evaporated; then add soy sauce and cook for a further 1 minutes, shaking well to coat the sauce. Cut into 8 pieces. Set aside.
- Cook noodles in a separate pan following packet directions, add Asian greens just before draining the noodles to blanch and set aside.
- Put noodles in the bowls; pour the broth over them, top with Asian vegetables, tofu sheet, wakame and corn. Serve immediately.
Gluten-free option: Use tamari instead of soy sauce and replace noodles with a gluten-free variety
Vegan option: Use egg-free ramen noodles.
This recipe is from my first cookbook ” Cooking With Soy”
There are also more exciting recipes in my latest book ” Japanese superfoods”
The best way of learning cooking? Please come and join my healthy vegetarian / vegan cooking classes in Sydney!
We offer gluten free cooking, traditional and modern Japanese cooking and more. Let’s cook together!!