Colourful Tofu Teriyaki Bowl
The Japanese use soy sauce often, which tends to make meals look very brown. By adding additional colour to your meals, you will encourage kids to eat.
You could also add pickled ginger for extra colour. The egg in this recipe is slightly sweet as the Japanese sometimes cook egg with sugar. You will taste it when you eat egg sushi in sushi restaurants! If you are vegan, simply fry silken tofu with turmeric or just omit egg part. Putting pickled ginger ( pink) and steamed veggie (green) make your bowl pretty enough 🙂
- 500g (17½oz) silken firm or firm tofu
- Potato starch for dusting
- 100g (3½oz) green beans
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
- 2 cups of your favourite rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or unrefined sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Nori sheets
- Place tofu on a tilted chopping board. Let it stand for 10 to 20 minutes.
- To prepare veggies, clean both sides of the green beans and cut into two then boil or steam them for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
- To prepare egg topping, combine all ingredients.
- Heat the frying pan with 1 teaspoon of oil and pour egg mixture. Stir consistently (if you can use four chopsticks for mixing, you can make very fine egg crumble). Set aside.
- To prepare garnish, cut the nori sheet into thin strips using scissors. Set aside.
- To make teriyaki sauce, combine all ingredients, and then set aside.
- To cook tofu, cut the tofu into bite size and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Toss tofu lightly in potato starch and shake away excess.
- Heat the frying pan and place the tofu inside; cook over a medium heat until golden on both sides. Turn off the heat.
- Wipe excess oil onto a pan with kitchen paper.
- Pour teriyaki sauce and let it boil with residue of heat. Turn tofu to coat it with sauce.
- Turn on low heat if the sauce is not thick enough at this stage and simmer to thicken the sauce.
- Place the rice into a bowl then arrange egg, teriyaki tofu and beans onto rice. t Pour on rest of teriyaki sauce.
- Top with shredded nori.
Vegan option: Simply serve without egg or make scrambled tofu with turmeric Gluten-free option: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
This recipe is from my first cookbook ” Cooking With Soy” Both hardcover and ebook are available There are also more exciting tofu recipes in my latest book ” Japanese superfoods” Best way of leaning cooking? Please come and join my healthy vegetarian / vegan cooking classes in Sydney! We offer gluten free cooking, traditional and modern Japanese cooking and more.